La Rioja has become a well established brand, is among the 5 or 6 wine regions that everyone recognized worldwide. The wines are very well made and you really get value for your money. There is big range of styles from really traditional, complex, silky wines to a very modern, fruit driven, concentrated, clean wines, allowing the regions to have different market segments. It also has historical background and you can find older vintages, which occurs in a few wine areas.
Annual wine consumption per capita in 2007 according to FAO:
- More than 30 liters: France, Andorra, Luxemburg, Italy, Portugal, Slovenia, Croatia, Switzerland, Spain, Argentina, Austria, Uruguay.
- 15 to 30 liters: Australia, Chile, Germany, Hungary, Denmark, Romania.
- From 7 to 15 liters: USA, Canada, South Africa, Norway, Suezia.
- From 1 to 7 liters: Russia, Brazil
- Less than 1 liter: Other Countries